We caught up with the wonderful Therese Kerr last month for our woman of the month segment and she shared so many gems on the importance of choosing certified organic skin & self care products! There were so many gems in fact that we decided to create seperate blog with the low down on all things skin and beauty.
So why choose natural and organic beauty products to begin with?
Well our skin is actually our LARGEST ORGAN and our bodies absorb anywhere between 60%-70% of what we put on it straight into our blood stream..amazing hey? Some may say it’s almost more important to minimise nasties on the outside then the inside because our skin doesn’t have the nifty detoxification techniques and functions that our inner world of digestion has (not that we suggest ditching organic fruits, veggies and animal products based on that).
Most conventional skin, personal and hair care products contain a whole host of chemical ingredients that our bodies were literally NEVER designed to deal with..and when we caught up with Therese she gave us a list of some of the ultimate health harmers.
The list included the following: TEAs, DEAs, Sulfates, Glycols, Parabens, Synthetic and Artificial ingredients, Ethoxylates, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde derivatives, Aspartame and Triclosan…All of which feature in many day-to-day to products from our shampoos and body washes to our toothpaste and perfumes.
Research is suggesting that health issues like infertility, skin rashes, cancer, learning disabilities, birth defects and reproductive problems can be linked to these chemicals. One of the front runners of this research is Dr. Sarah Lantz, author of “Chemical Kids” states that children are capable of absorbing 40-50% more chemicals than adults which puts them at far greater risk for health issues later in life.
Resources like the Chemical Maze (book and app) or the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep database are amazing tools to allow you to make more informed decisions when it comes to what you’re using!
The good news is that there are so many non-toxic alternatives on the market these days that ‘access’ really isn’t a barrier to bringing more of these into your day-to-day.
Ready for the top tips on minimising these chemicals in your daily life?:
1. Eat organic produce- this is the one we’re being told all the TIME but it’s seriously the best ammo you can give your body.
2. Use only certified organic household, personal, skin, hair care products- HIGH emphasis on deodorant, toothpaste and products that come into contact with your intimate areas.
3. If you can’t pronounce it, you probably don’t want to put it on your body. Ask yourself, “Would I eat this?”
4. Look for products that are fragrance-free. One artificial fragrance can contain hundreds – even thousands — of chemicals, and fragrances are a major cause of allergic reactions.
5. Pay attention to the order in which the ingredients are listed. Manufacturers are required to list ingredients in descending order by volume, meaning the first few ingredients are the most prominent. If Lavender or Chamomile extract are the last ingredients in a long list on the label, your Lavender and Chamomile body wash isn’t very natural.
6. Buy products that come in either glass bottles or ensure the plastic is Bisphenol A (BPA) free.
7. Purchase certified organic products from companies that are earth-friendly, animal-friendly and green- look for labels like:
8. Purchase either the Chemical Maze Book or the phone app and review all products when you go shopping. It’s a great way to become familiar with the things to avoid.
For more check out the Divine Company and Therese’s socials:
P.S The products from the divine are literally divine they smell and feel so good on your skin we highly recommend.
S & M.x